top of page


856 Castello Ave • PO Box 517 • Fairplay, CO 80440
Office:  (719) 836-4255 • Fax:  (719) 836-4268
Inspection Line:  (719) 836-4257

Welcome to Park County Development Services, which encompasses Planning & Zoning, Environmental & Code Compliance, Building, and GIS/Mapping. The following information is intended to help guide you through your development project, including an explanation of the review, approval and inspection processes, as well as other relevant information to facilitate the successful completion of your project. The standard development application can be found here. Much of the parcel information needed for permit processing can be found on the Assessor’s site. Any information in blue is a helpful link that will direct you to more information.


Step #1:

Address Assignment by GIS

If there is no address listed on your deed or within the Assessor’s information, GIS will assign you one. They can be contacted at 719.836.4294 or . Note that, in some situations, previously assigned addresses need to be changed. You will be notified if so.

Step #2:

Planning & Zoning Approval

In most situations, Planning & Zoning will initially review your application. Based on the zoning, staff will determine if your project is an appropriate land use within that zone district as well as verifying property setback requirements, parcel legality, and other land use requirements needed for the permitting process. Please note: It is also prudent to check with your homeowner’s association prior to applying for a building permit to confirm you are in compliance with their applicable covenants, codes, and restrictions. The Planning & Zoning Department requires a warranty deed with each application to show ownership. Please note the following special warranty deed requirements. If your warranty deed does not meet one of the following criteria, additional Planning processes may be required.  Regardless of zoning, if a parcel(s) is less than 35 acres and not in a subdivision, attach a Warranty Deed with metes and bounds description recorded prior to August 8, 1967.  If the property is zoned agricultural and less than 35 acres, a pre-1972 recorded warranty deed is required.

The unincorporated areas of Park County are divided into zone districts necessary to achieve land use compatibility and uniformity. The “account type” on the Park County’s Assessor’s website is not the same thing as a zone district. It is important to know your zone district as that will determine the types of structures permitted on your property as well the timing in which to construct that structure. If you are unsure of the zoning of your property, please contact the Planning & Zoning Department at 719.836.4292 or for further information.

Step #3:

Environmental & Code Compliance Approval

When applying for a building permit (regardless of permit type), you will need approval from Environmental Health that the current septic system is adequate for your project. If a septic permit has already been issued for your property, staff will review the septic file to make sure you are meeting all necessary State and County requirements. Additionally, the property’s status with regards to Code Enforcement will be reviewed. If you have questions, please call the department at 719.836.4267.

Step #4: Building Review and Approval

WHEN IS A BUILDING PERMIT REQUIRED? A building permit is required to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert, or demolish any building or structure in Park County. If you are in doubt as to whether a permit is required for your project, please contact the Building Department at 719.836.4255

or for further information.


To obtain a building permit, your plans will be reviewed by the Building Department for compliance with current building codes and other County regulations. Please be sure to include all information in your application, and that your plans include all plan content requirements, as omission of any one item can delay the acceptance of your application. Park County is currently under the 2012 International Code family; however more current codes may be adopted in 2020. After the submittal of your application and construction plans for review, your project will be given a plan review number. All plans are reviewed in the order in which they are received. Two sets of building plans are required for submittal.


Snow and Wind Load: Ground snow load for a structure is based on the location and elevation of your property. This information is required on your building permit application. Applicants and design professionals are responsible for obtaining the snow load from the web site. Staff will not provide the information to avoid potential liability. Wind load for the county is designated at 110 mph, 3-second gust. Please make sure that both wind and snow loads are clearly stated and addressed on your construction plans.

Permit Fees: A minimum of 50% of the building permit fee is due upon plan submittal. Estimated permit fees are available on the Building web page. Commencing construction prior to issuance of a building permit will subject you to a double fee.


Issuance of Permit: Upon completion of plan review, the Building Department will notify the applicant that the permit is ready to be issued or that additional information is required. Plans will be stamped approved and dated. When the permit is issued, you will receive the permit, a building inspection card, and one set of approved plans. The permit, building inspection card, and stamped plans are required to be on-site for all inspections. A highly visible, waterproof container for storage of these documents is recommended on-site. Please note that following approval of the final inspection, the inspector will retrieve the building inspection card for our files.


Permit Expiration: Development permits are valid for 1 year from the date of permit issuance and may be voided if work lapses or inspections are not performed. Permits can be renewed for one year, for a fee, which may be conditional on inspections having been performed and upon review of Building Department staff. Please call two weeks prior to the expiration of your permit to ensure arrangements can be made to extend your permit.


Transfer of Permit: Valid unexpired permits can be transferred to a new party upon written application. There will be a fee for such transfer, and for structural or plan changes. The original expiration date will remain the same. Once a building permit has been issued and work on the project has commenced, the project will be completed under the same edition of the Building Code enforced at the time the project was started, provided the permit has not been allowed to expire.


Plan Revisions: If a change needs to be made to your construction plans that have already been submitted or approved through the plan review process, you will need to bring two sets of plans clearly showing the changes you wish to make. A plan revision fee, based on the complexity of the change, will be required; as will additional permit fees if applicable.


Inspections: Your building project is required to be inspected at various stages of construction. Please see the appropriate building inspection card for a list of those inspections and when to request an inspection. Inspections may be scheduled with the Building Department office no later than 5PM the day before you need an inspection. To schedule the inspection, please call the Building Department’s Inspection Line at 719.836.4257 and provide the building permit number, type of inspection, property address, subdivision (if applicable), owner’s last name and requested inspection date. We will contact you if the inspection cannot be performed on the requested date. Should it happen that you are not ready for a scheduled inspection, please call and cancel the inspection. Failure to cancel an inspection will result in a re-inspection fee.

The County conducts inspections to verify general conformance with Codes and plans. Quality control is the responsibility of the applicant, property owner, and general contractor.

Final Inspection/Certificate of Occupancy: A final inspection will be conducted only after the State has finally approved the electrical and plumbing. Once your project is complete and you have passed your final inspection, a Certificate of Occupancy (a.k.a. CO) will be issued to your building. This certificate is your assurance that the structure has been fully inspected for compliance with the plans and Code.

Occupancy of a structure prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy is a violation of Code. Occupancy prior to the Certificate of Occupancy may also be grounds for your insurance company to deny a claim in the event of a fire, flood, or any other insurance claim occurrence.


Fire Protection Districts: Certain Fire Protection Districts in Park County require a review and approval of your construction project and/or payment of a fee. If you fall within one of the following districts, you may need to submit applicable documents to verify you have met their conditions. If applicable, a copy of your fee receipt is required with your building permit application.

 Platte Canyon Fire Department Mitigation Permit (303) 838-5853

 Hartsel Fire Protection District Impact Fee Receipt (719) 836-3500

 Southern Park County Fire Protection District - approval on inspection card prior to final inspection (719) 689-9479

 Jefferson-Como Fire Protection District Fire Mitigation Survey Fee Receipt

(719) 836-2082

Other Permits

Excavation Permits: Normally the excavation for your foundation is included with your building permit. If your building permit has not been issued and you need to get started earlier on the excavation portion of your project, or if you are conducting a non-building related excavation, a fast-track excavation permit may be purchased for an additional fee. If you purchase your excavation permit in advance, you will not be billed for the excavation portion again with your building permit.

Foundation Permits: This permit may be applied for separately from the building permit for an additional fee. An additional set of plans and a building permit application for the foundation will need to be submitted, reviewed, and approved by Development Services.

Manufactured Home Permits: Permits are required for any manufactured home being installed in Park County. Only a contractor who is licensed in Park County and certified by the State is allowed to apply for this permit. This contractor acts as the “General Contractor” on the project and is solely responsible for the whole project.

Mechanical Permits: This permit is required for the installation of mechanical appliances such as furnaces and wood stoves after a dwelling has been constructed. If you intend to include these types of appliances into your building plans for a residence, you do not need to apply for a separate mechanical permit.

Water and Well Permits: Well permits are issued by the State of Colorado Division of Water Resources. Please contact their office at (303) 866-3581 or visit their website at for additional information.

Plumbing and Electrical Permits: Electrical and plumbing permits and inspections are through the State of Colorado, 303.894.2300.

State of Colorado, Board of Plumbers
1560 Broadway, Suite 1500
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-2300

State of Colorado, Board of Electricians
1560 Broadway, Suite 1500
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-2300


Building Dept. Q & A 

Note: If you have questions & need anwers, this will take you to them. (Sharing the Link)

1.During what hours is the Building Department open?

2.What can I build without a permit?

3.Do I need a permit to re-roof my house, garage, barn, or shed?

4.My septic, driveway, planning and zoning sheet, and plot plan are already approved. Does the Building Department already have copies on record?

5.I already have submitted my plans for a permit or I already have my building permit and I want to make some changes to my blueprints/field plans?

6.Do I need a permit to put a woodstove in my house?

7.Do I need a permit to tear down a structure, or any portion thereof ?

8.I just want to build a garage, addition, deck, or finish my basement, do I really need all the submittal documents listed on the building permit application?

9.How long are building permits good for?

10.Do I need a permit to finish my basement?

11.What is the frost depth in Park County?

12.What is the building code for Park County?

13.Can I have someone other then myself or a licensed/ registered contractor drop off and/or pick up permits for me?

14.Can I live in a trailer on my property while I build my house?

15.Do I need a permit for a deck?

16.Does Park County require contractors to be licensed/registered?

17.Does my shed require a permanent foundation?

18.Can I camp on my property?

19.Can I put a mobile home on my property?

20.Can I put a shed or a garage on my property prior to a house?

21.What is the smallest cabin/house I can build?

22.Do I need the fire mitigation listed in the building permit guide?

23.Can I put a modular or HUD home on my property?

24.How do I get a plumbing or electrical permit?

25.Do my plans have to be engineered?

26.Can I build my own home?

27.What do building permits cost?

28.What are the snow and wind loads for Park County?

29.Can I just build a primitive/weekend/hunting cabin without water, sewer, electrical or plumbing?

30.What inspections are needed and in what order are they required?

31.How do I find out if there were ever any building permits on a property?

32.How often do I need to get an inspection to keep my permit valid?


All Emergencies (police, fire, ambulance)911

Alma Town Government(719) 836-2712

Asbestos Compliance Assistance Group 

Asbestos and Demolition Permit Coordinator (303) 692-3100

Chambers of Commerce 

Platte Canyon Area Chamber of Commerce (Bailey) (303) 816-3500

South Park Chamber of Commerce (Fairplay) 970-333-4008

Forestry Service South Park District (Fairplay)(719) 836-2031

Colorado State Patrol(719) 836-4136

Community Development / Tourism(719) 836-4298

Eleven Mile Reservoir State Park (Lake George)(719) 748-3401

Fairplay Town Government(719) 836-2622

Newspaper Publications 

Park County Republican & Fairplay Flume (Bailey) (303) 838-4423

Intermountain Rural Electric Association (Core) (800) 332-9540

Newspapers - Park County Republican & Fairplay Flume (Bailey)(303) 838-4423

Park County Government 

Fairplay (719) 836-2771

Bailey (303) 838-7509

Lake George (719) 748-3961

Animal Control (719) 836-4380

Assessor's Office (719) 836-4331

Board of County Commissioners (719) 836-4201

District 1:  Commissioner Amy Mitchell (719) 836-4210

District 2:  Commissioner Dick Elsner (719) 836-4209

District 3:  Commissioner Ray Douglas (719) 836-4211

Budget & Finance Office (719) 836-4214

Building Department (719) 836-4255

Clerk & Recorder's Office – Fairplay (719) 836-4333

Clerk & Recorder's Office – Bailey (303) 816-5922

Communications/Dispatch (719) 836-4121 x5

County Coroner (719) 836-4340

District Court (719) 836-2940

District Attorney's Office (719) 836-2080

Emergency Management (719) 836-4372

Environmental Health (719) 836-4267

Extension Office (719) 836-4296

Geographic Information Systems & Mapping (719) 836-4287

Historic Preservation (719) 836-4298

Human Resources (719) 836-4217

Human Services Fairplay (719) 836-4139

Human Services Bailey (303) 816-5939

Information (Computer) Services (719) 836-4208

Jail (719) 836-4373

Planning & Zoning Department (719) 836-4292

Public Health – Fairplay (719) 836-4161

Public Health – Bailey (303) 816-5970

Public Works – Fairplay(719) 836-42771

Public Works – Bailey (303) 838-5080

Recreation Development Office (719) 836-4279

Road & Weather Line (719) 836-4134

Senior Coalition (719) 836-4295

Sheriff's Office (719) 836-2494

Tourism Office (719) 836-4298

Treasurer's Office (719) 836-4334

Veteran’s Services - Fairplay (719) 836-4132

Veteran’s Services - Bailey (303) 816-9498

Park County Libraries 

Park County Library - Bailey (303) 838-5539

Park County Library - Fairplay(719) 836-4297

Park County Library - Guffey

719) 689-9280

Park County Library - Lake George

(719) 748-3812

Pike National Forest - Fairplay Office(719) 836-2031

Pike National Forest - Morrison Office(303) 275-5610

Public Schools 

Deer Creek Elementary School (Bailey)

(303) 838-4888

Edith Teter Elementary School (Fairplay)

(719) 836-2949

Fitzsimmons Middle School (Bailey)

(303) 838-2054

Guffey Elementary School (Guffey)

(719) 689-2093

Lake George Elementary School (Lake George)

(719) 748-3911

Platte Canyon High School (Bailey)

(303) 838-4642

South Park Middle/High School (Fairplay)

(719) 836-2006


Excel Energy - Residential Phone Service

(800) 895-4999

Emergency Power Outage

(800) 895-1999

Intermountain Rural Electric Association

(800) 332-9540


(303) 838-5583

Woodland Park

(719) 687-9277

Natural Gas 

Colorado Natural Gas

(800) 720-8193

Customer Service - Press 1;  Directory - Press 4

(800) 895-1999


(844) 528-5520

Phone Service 

CenturyLink - Residential Phone Service


South Park Telephone

(888) 837-6400


Bailey Propane

(303) 838-5411


(719) 836-0378

Amerigas (Fairplay)

(719) 836-2474

Ranger District 

Fairplay Office

(719) 836-2031

Morrison Office

(303) 275-5610

Well Information 

Colorado Division of Water Resources (

(303) 866-3581

State of Colorado Electric & Plumbing Inspections ( 894-2300

UNCC - Utility Notification Co(800) 922-1987


NOTE: All Information shared 

here are Links (3-5-2023) to the Goverment Websites. A quick way to help find & learn what your needs are. But no matter what, to be sure that they have given the most updated  information online.

I would recommend calling them.


New Address Form

Planning & Zoning

Park County Planning and Zoning Sheets: CLICK HERE 

Plot-Plan-sample (should look like) 

Land Use Applications


Marijuana Licensing

Application Process

Outdoor Event Permit Applications

Outdoor Event Permit Application (PDF)

Short-Term Rental

Application Submittal Information

  • We are accepting applications via email (  Please write your property address in the subject line and we will call you for payment.  

  • If you mail the application, please send it to PO Box 1598, Attn: STR, Fairplay, CO 80440.  If you write a check write the property address in the memo line or we will call you for payment.

  •  Short-Term Rental Application



Applications & Permits

Septic / Driveway / Site Evaluation Permit (PDF) - Application and requirements for a septic, driveway or site evaluation permit


Park County Development 


Park County Residential


Permit Applications & Fees

Call to make sure they gave

the most updated Fee List online

Building Permit Fees 

Park County Building Permit Application Plan Content Requirements

Snow Load for Structure

Snow Load for a structure is based upon the location and elevation of your property. Please use the link below to determine the snow load at your elevation within the applicable zone.

bottom of page